What Should You Do If You Are Facing a Hostile Workplace?
To begin with, for a court to find that you’ve been subjected to a hostile work environment, you must show the complained-of conduct:
- would not have occurred but for the employee's race.
- was severe or pervasive enough to make a reasonable person believe that the conditions of employment are altered, and the working environment is hostile or abusive.
The steps to take if you face a hostile work environment include:
- Address the issue directly: This is a difficult step to take, but a necessary one. Do not ignore the offense. Speak with those who wronged you and be direct. Let them know that you do not tolerate their hostile behavior, and that you view it as harassment.
- Document what happens: Especially if the hostile situation is ongoing, write everything down as soon as possible. Relying on memory is not a good idea. Then, approach your Human Resources department or your supervisor. Advise them of the situation and ask for help.
- Take the issue to management: If necessary, elevate the situation. Someone in authority must be made aware of the situation. However, remain calm and professional. Give them specific examples of the harassment you faced.
- Hire a race discrimination lawyer: The sooner you speak with a race discrimination lawyer, the sooner you have legal backing for your case. Without additional help from a trained professional, many of these cases never improve. Some even worsen over time. Attorneys are there to help you, and to view your case with an unbiased, well-trained eye.
Do I Need a Race Discrimination Lawyer?
No matter how large or small you think your case may be, discrimination is not something to take lightly. In some cases, you might not even know for sure until you consult with a qualified race discrimination lawyer. Researching independently is a great start, but it will only get you so far. Oftentimes, many details and subtleties are involved in these cases. For that reason, you’ll want someone with the ability and knowledge to go through those details to gather evidence and support for your case.
Contact a New Jersey Race Discrimination Lawyer Today
If you have experienced race discrimination in the workplace, you need a qualified race discrimination attorney.
To schedule a consultation with us, please fill out our online intake form.